Biographical sports drama on former wrestler Mahavir Singh Phogat and his two wrestler daughters’ struggle towards glory at the Commonwealth Games in the face of societal oppression.
Here are some of the movie trivias.
- After gaining 28 kg. for the initial shoot, Aamir Khan lost 25 kg. in 20 weeks to portray the younger(25 years old) character of Mahavir Singh Phogat.
- Aamir Khan gained 28 kgs for the role of Mahavir Singh Phogat, and currently weighs around 98 kg.
- Lead actor Aamir Khan and director Nitesh Tiwari reportedly auditioned 3000 girls for the role of Babita Kumari and Geeta Phogat, the two daughters of Mahavir Singh Phogat.
- ‘Dangal’ is the native name of wrestling pits in India.
- Rajkummar Rao, who had previously worked with Aamir Khan in Talaash (2012), was approached for a supporting role in the film but declined citing date issues.
- Aamir Khan unveiled the first look poster on 21st September, 2015 on his twitter handle, about 15 months before the scheduled release of the film.
- Dangal releases on 23rd December 2016 after exactly 734 days of Aamir Khan’s last release PK.
- Model and actress Mallika Sherawat said she wanted to be a part of the film, and auditioned, but was rejected by the filmmakers.
- 3 minute trailer released on YouTube and Social media on 20th October 2016.
- The first trailer for the film was released by Aamir himself on October 20th, 2016. It reached over 4.5 million views on YouTube in less than 15 hours, which is very surprising and unusual for an Indian film trailer.
- Within 24 hours of being posted, the trailer became the 3rd most-viewed video in the world, after ’50 Shades Darker’ and ‘Star Wars – The Force Awakens’.